Getting Started with Clumio Protect for S3
Clumio provides a secure way to protect your Simple Storage Service (S3) through Clumio Protect for S3.
If you have bucket-level permissions applied to your S3 bucket, please ensure that the permissions allow access to the Clumio roles for successful ingestion/Inventory.
- Refer to this article for instructions on how to configure your bucket-level permissions to include the Clumio Role.
Supported Storage Classes
You can perform Clumio Protect backups for the below storage classes:
- S3 Standard
- S3 Intelligent-Tiering
- S3 Standard - IA
- S3 One Zone - IA
- S3 Reduced Redundancy
Please note: Glacier and Glacier Deep Archive are not supported.
Supported Encryption Types
The following encryption types are supported when backing up objects:
- Server-side encryption with Amazon S3 managed keys (SSE-S3) 2
- Server-side encryption with AWS Key Management Service (AWS KMS) keys (SSE-KMS)
- Dual-layer server-side encryption with AWS KMS keys (DSSE-KMS)
- Sever-Side Encryption with customer-provided keys (SSE-C) **
** As long as the S3 bucket and all its objects are protected by a single SSE-C key
** Contact Clumio support to enable SSE-C
- There are two backup tiers for Clumio Protect for S3: Cold and Frozen. Please refer to the following article for additional information.
- Protecting the same object across different protection groups will incur metering the object separately across each protection group.
- To achieve 15 minute continuous backups, there must be a delta of 32 or more objects in the event queue. If this threshold is not met, continuous backups would be postponed to the next hour.
Connect your AWS account
You must first connect the AWS account and regions that contain your EC2 instances and EBS volumes to start protecting them using Clumio.
- Refer to this article for detailed instructions on connecting your AWS account to Clumio.
- Refer to this article for a list of supported source regions from which you can back up AWS resources.
- Refer to this video for a demo of Clumio Protect for S3.
There may be certain limitations such as the restore size of a single object, supported types, etc.
For information about Clumio service limits for S3, refer to the relevant section in the following article.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.