Getting Started with Clumio for Microsoft SQL on EC2
Clumio provides full database recovery and point-in-time database restore solutions for Microsoft SQL Server running on AWS EC2 instances. Clumio supports Availability Group and Failover Cluster Instance (FCI) deployments of SQL Server on EC2.
- SQL Server 2022 edition (Enterprise/Developer/Standard/Web)
- SQL Server 2019 edition (Enterprise/Developer/Standard/Web)
- SQL Server 2016 and 2017 edition (Enterprise/Developer/Standard/Web)
- SQL Server 2014 64-bit edition (Enterprise/Developer/Standard/Web)
- SQL Server 2012 64-bit edition (Enterprise/Developer/Standard/Web)
Refer to this article for a list of corresponding Microsoft Windows Server editions that are supported for each of the SQL Server versions listed.
Clumio performs both database and log level backups of your SQL environments by leveraging SSM agents on each of your hosts combined with a small binary file to perform backup and restore operations.
The following prerequisites are required for successful installation.
You must have permission to create and update a cloud formation template.
If your EC2 instance does not have the default IAM role with SSM permissions, then the following is required:
- You must have CloudShell permissions to onboard hosts to Clumio, refer to AWS documentation for information about managing CloudShell access and usage with IAM policies.
- Alternatively, the generated script can be run using the AWS CLI. The script requires permissions to apply tags to and modify the Instance Profile of the EC2 instance.
MS SQL Prerequisites
- The AWS Systems Manager Agent (SSM Agent) user must have system administrator privileges on the MS SQL server instance to be onboarded to Clumio.
- The NT Authority/SQLwriter account must have system administrator privileges.
- The NT Authority/SYSTEM account must have system administrator privileges. (Required for MS SQL Server 2019)
- The SQL Server VSS writer service must be running on the MS SQL host.
- The Volume Shadow Copy Service must be registered or present in the services list.
AWS PowerShell must be installed on the MS SQL host.
You must first connect the AWS account and region that your SQL Server hosts are located in to start protecting them using Clumio. For detailed instructions on how to connect your AWS account to Clumio, see Connect an AWS Environment.
Both backup and recovery have specific storage requirements. For details on backup requirements, see Backup Requirements for MSSQL on EC2. For details on recovery requirements, see Recovery Requirements for MSSQL on EC2.
After you have connected your AWS account, you can add SQL servers. For details on how to add SQL servers, see Adding SQL Server Hosts to Clumio.
Clumio supports backup and recovery for Always on Availability Groups on EC2. For details on how to add Always on Availability Groups, see Adding SQL Server Hosts to Clumio.
Clumio supports backup and recovery for SQL Server FCI on EC2. For details on how to add SQL Server FCI, see Adding SQL Server Hosts to Clumio.